PONTE DEI SOSPIRI (Bridge of sighs)
"Ponte dei Sospiri " (Bridge of Sighs) was built in the 16th century. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone and has windows with stone bars. It connects the old prisons with the rooms of the Doge's Palace where prisoners were interrogated.
The name was given by Lord Byron in the 20th century, refering to the prisoner's last sigh for the sight of Venice before they were taken down to their cells.
Today, "Bridge of Sighs" is very popular among young lovers. According to a local legend, if they kiss under the bridge in a gondola at sunset, they are assured eternal love.
PONTE DI RIALTO (Rialto Bridge)
Ponte di Rialto is the oldest and most famous Venetian bridge.
It crosses the Grand Canal. It was first built in 1181 by Nicolò Barattiere and called "Ponte della Moneta".
Later in 1250, the bridge was rebuilt in wood.
It was tightly connected to the market activities; since then it was named "Ponte di Rialto".
In 1310 it was partly burned after the revolt led by Bajamonte Tiepolo. About a century later (1444), the bridge collapsed due to the weight of crowd which was watching a boat parade.
In 1503 the Doge proposed to built the bridge out of stone; famous architects like Palladio, Sansovino and Vignola presented their own projects but they weren't considered suitable.
The present bridge was built by Antonio del Ponte in 1591. It's very similar to the former bridge made of wood: there is a central portico and two inclined ramps in which many shops are placed.
PONTE DEGLI SCALZI
The Ponte degli Scalzi (Bridge of the Barefoot) is one of the three bridges which cross the Grand Canal. It was designed by Eugenio Miozzi and concluded in 1934, as a replacement for an Austrian iron bridge.
It connects the "Sestieri" of Santa Croce with Cannaregio. North of Cannaregio, there are the Chiesa degli Scalzi and the railway station. On the South, in Santa Croce, there is the bus station Piazzale Roma.
Ponte dell'Accademia is next to the Accademia galleries and crosses the Grand Canal like Rialto Bridge and Bridge of the Barefoot.
It was built in 1854. First, the former bridge was designed by Alfredo Neviani but it was replaced with a wooden one. Then even this bridge was demolished and substituted in 1985 with the present one.